Tuesday, October 9, 2012

An Open Letter to the City of Los Angeles


I intially wrote this towards the end of my time in Los Angeles. I had written it for an intern blog but then didn't end up using it and for one reason or another I just never got around to posting it on here, mostly I think due to timing. Today the timing appears to be just right.


Dearest L.A,

As our time together comes to a close, I’m realizing just how bittersweet our time together truly was. You have challenged me in ways I never imagined and you have helped me to realize things that I might have otherwise missed had it not been for you. You have challenged every aspect of my idea of community; you've challenged my patience and grace as well as my personal standard for cleanliness. Our time together has allowed me opportunities to meet, talk to and connect with people whom I might not have had the pleasure and privilege  to meet otherwise. You have helped me to realize that God is usually where I least expect Him to be and that the “sacred” and the “mundane” more often than not, are one and the same.

As a result of our time here you have helped me to realize things that I have a passion for and am interested in learning more about, social issues such as food injustice and the various topics surrounding it as well as immigration and education. Our time together has allowed me to discover and pursue new hobbies such as gardening (turns out I've got a bit of a green thumb after all), cycling (a great way for me to clear my head), and food (need I say more?). I will always be thankful for the whole new world of food that you have introduced me to: pusole, bacon wrapped hot dogs, oranges from orange trees, papusas, mole, arroz con leche and many, many more. My stomach will be eternally grateful.

Thanks L.A for reminding me of the beauty and importance of grace & mercy in everyday life. Thanks for the people I have met, the friends that I've made and the lessons I've learned. Thanks for deepening my understanding of perseverance as well as The Divine, and last but certainly not least-thank you Los Angeles, for a year I will never forget filled with intense growth, life lessons and an expanded perspective on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment