Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October



October holds for me what I believe to be all things Fall in a single month. It has Halloween, pumpkin carvings, hayrides, pumpkin spice lattes, apple cider, fall weather, scarves, boots, hats, costumes and parties, fall seasonal beers, changing leaves, crisp cool air, naked trees, that special outside smell that is Fall dissipating into Winter, Halloween candy and that kind of final transition from fall to winter-from life to death. October is all that I love about Fall, in one single month.

I like to think of October as "my" month. It is my birth month and thus usually puts me in a pensive mood as I slow down to reflect on yet another year of life; where I have been, where I am at and where it seems that God is leading. Where I have been for the last year is the city of Los Angeles; in this wild and crazy land of self indulgence, frivolous living and spiritual laziness. Where I am now, is broken and messy and completely stripped, revealing nothing but my raw humanity while simultaneously wading through a rather pernicious break-up.

Yet in the midst of all this confusion and fracturing and muck, God is here with me, and among me. He is making his presence felt and known, not with anger or judgement or condemnation but rather I am being met with incredible gentleness, amazing grace and hurricane-like love. So as I sit here writing with a bruised ego, a wounded heart and hurt feelings, I know exactly where it is I am going.

I am going home.

After more than a year of unprecedented stupidity and spiritual apathy, this prodigal child is heading home.

The last reason I love October is because for me, it is a time to start fresh and new. For many people their new beginning starts in January, but for me, my new year tends to begin in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment