Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lessons From Fall II


Fall. A season that I have grown up with and as a result has become something that I have taken for granted for year. Last year I didn’t have fall because I was living in L.A, and to be honest it wasn’t something that I noticeably missed other than I occasionally wanting to see some changing leaves.

L.A if you don’t know is not equipped for fall in the traditional sense. It’s a concrete jungle, with few trees that aren’t baby transplants in suburbs from some tree nursery. What does grow there are palm trees, which don’t shed their leaves or change colors and the weather stays about the same until November.

Since nothing really changes during the “fall season” in L.A there isn’t that fall feel that I’d become so familiar with; so familiar with in fact that I didn’t even notice it was gone. All of my favorite things about fall were still happening around me, seasonal Starbucks drinks and fall beers, pumpkins, apple cider and scarves but the specific feel that Fall has, was not there.

Upon returning home to the South I have realized just how much I love and have missed the beauty of fall. Fall, is a season of transition from summer to winter. It’s that in between place, a twilight of seasons if you will. It begins to move you into a place of anticipation and waiting as signs of life slowly disappear with the approach of winter. And while I have no idea what I am waiting for, for the first time in my life I am eagerly anticipating winter.

During winter everything seems to be barren and dead to the human eye but there is so much happening beneath the surface.
 God is preparing, renewing, restoring and creating new life to be presented to the world in the spring time.

And so it will be, with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment